Skye or the Isle of Skye is the largest and most northerly large island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. Some curious facts about Isle of Skye:
- Skye is the second largest Island in Scotland after Lewis & Harris.
- A Mesolithic hunter-gatherer site at An Corran in Staffin dates back to the 7th millennium BC, it is also one of the oldest archaeological sites in Scotland.
- Near the ‘Fairy Pools’ is the site of the last clan battle between the MacDonalds and the Macleods.
- The Cuillin mountains on Skye rise to more than 3000ft.
- In 1935 Lachie MacInnes started the first vehicular ferry to Skye.
- Sgurr Alasdair is the highest point of Skye at 993m.
- The Isle of Skye has featured in numerous films such as Highlander, Breaking the Waves, The Wicker Man and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- Skye’s area is 639.4miles squared.
- Rubha an Dunain is an uninhabited peninisula, an artificial viking canal was discovered as well as boat timber dating from the 12th century.
- Also on Rubha an Dunain there is a chambered cairn -a burial monument- from the 2nd or 3rd millenia BC.
Isle of Skye is a beautiful Island. We have reviewed and selected the 12 best Isle of Skye wallpapers. Download below a high quality Isle of Skye wallpapers in wide range of HD resolutions for your computer’s or mobile’s desktop.